top of page

Do I need to have a Aviation Radio Licence (ROC-A) In Canada?

Updated: Jun 17, 2022

Step 3 - Get the Aviation Radio Certificate (ROC-A)

So you're probably wondering what happened to step 1 & 2…

Here is a quick recap…

Step 1- Get your Class 1 medical certificate - before you spend a lot of money, figure out if you're fit to fly.

Step 2 -Find a school that fits your needs.

The majority of student pilots face this challenge, especially international students. Due to my local and international experience, I am able to shed some light on the subject, but that is another discussion.

Step 3- (which can often be done simultaneously with step 2) is to get an Aviation Radio license.

When it comes to aviation, you want things done right and fast.

Students and trainee pilots aren't aware of the proper order of things, so they hope the flight schools will guide them. This may be true for some schools, but there's always a high chance of things getting missed and in case you get stuck in a not so great school with a not so great instructor, then you're in real trouble.

Let's start by explaining some details and clearing up some common misconceptions.

Aviation radio licenses are called Restricted Operator Certificate-Aeronautical.

Though the Licence is required by Transport Canada, the governing body is Industry Canada (now renamed and rebranded as - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED).

  • The best part is that once you pass the exam, it's good for life. (Valid for life)

  • Better yet, there is no prerequisite.

Here's a snippet from the governing body's website:

There are no nationality or age restrictions as to who may take the examination or hold an ROC-A. Candidates must attest that they do not have a disability that would impair their ability to operate a radio station safely.

An aviation radio licence is required to operate in Canada - Here's a snippet from the governing body's website again:

A ROC-A is required by operators of radiotelephone equipment on board aircraft and at aeronautical land (fixed and mobile) radio stations using aeronautical mobile frequencies. The radiotelephone equipment at such stations shall be of a type that requires only simple external switching, has a power output not exceeding 250 watts effective radiated power (e.r.p.) – equivalent to 400 watts peak envelope power (PEP) – and where all frequency-determining elements are preset within the transceiver.

At, we are authorized by ISED for the delivery of this certification and to conduct your examination leading to the issuance of your Restricted Operator Certificate-Aeronautical.

You can get in touch with us through the contact page or via email through

Speak to you soon

All the best!

131 views0 comments
bottom of page