top of page

Snapshot on how you can get your ROC-A Licence in Canada

Updated: Jun 17, 2022

Canada issued its first professional radio operator certificate in 1912. Since then, a number of different radio operator certificates have been established in order to ensure that radio operators possess the level of expertise required. The Restricted Operator Certificate ─ Aeronautical (ROC-A) is specific to Aviation.

Detailed information about the ROC-A can be found on the official government website, however, we have summarized what we thought was important.


There are no nationality or age restrictions.


There are no restrictions apart from this statement “The Candidates must attest that they do not have a disability that would impair their ability to operate a radio station safely.”


Restricted Operator Certificates are issued for life and no revalidation is required.

Lost or Damaged Certificate

If your certificate is lost or requires replacement, contact your local district office of Industry Canada or your examiner.


The examination may consist of written, practical and oral exercises.

The candidate must satisfy an examiner that he or she is capable of operating radiotelephone equipment.

The examiner will check to ensure that the candidate;

  • possesses a general knowledge of radiotelephone operating procedures

  • possesses a general knowledge of international regulations applicable to the aeronautical service, specifically those regulations relating to the safety of life; and

  • possesses a general knowledge of the Radio Communication Act and the regulations.

Apart from the general knowledge, the examiner just needs to be convinced that you as a candidate have the ability to communicate as per aviation standards, in an efficient and effective manner.

License Issuance

Industry Canada (ISED) issues the certificate upon notification from the accredited examiner of the successful candidate. The process may take up to 4 weeks and the license arrives in the mail.

NOTE: Industry Canada (ISED) will ONLY mail your Licence to a Canadian mailing address. Consult with your examiner if you are an international candidate.

Finally, Industry Canada (ISED) requires that any operator of radiotelephone equipment, onboard aircraft and at aeronautical land be the holder of a Restricted Operator Certificate-Aeronautical. Failure to do so may have heavy penalties, It can also unnecessarily delay your licensing process. So we highly suggest that you get your ROC-A Licence.

Once you are ready for your exam, get in touch with us via email at and we will guide you through the process swiftly and effortlessly.

All the best!

344 views0 comments
bottom of page